Since ancient history plants have been used widely for their therapeutic properties. Many of the herbal and medicinal plants have known to cure humans of many wounds, infection, inflammations and much more. Some medicinal plants are found locally, i.e. in a particular region or a location whereas others are ubiquitous which are found everywhere, means in different countries of the world.
Which are the top 5 herbal and medicinal plants?
To count there are numerous plants whose properties have been recognized widely. However, let us take a look at some of the top 5 commonly used herbal and medicinal plants and what therapeutic properties they show and the diseases, infection or wounds they are able to cure and minimize.
1. Aloe vera: Thick stiff green colored leaves and the orange colored spikes flower is the aloe vera plant. The gel present in aloe vera is used to treat and heal various skin conditions. The aloe vera gel is also useful for the treatment of wounds and burns. You can also use the sap in the aloe vera leaf as a laxative or a digestive stimulant.
2. Ginseng: The pointed green leaves, red berries and light green flowers is Ginseng. The plant requires five years to mature. Ginseng helps to increase energy level of the body and stimulates the immune system. It lowers the blood sugar level as well as the cholesterol levels of the body. It is one of the widely used medicinal plant in the world.
3. Tea tree: Wispy white flowers and tiny green leaves represent the tea tree. Another useful medicinal shrub, the tea tree oil is used as an antiseptic for wounds, burns and stings. It can also treat fatigue syndrome and also useful for stimulating the immune system. Tea tree oil is also added while preparing soaps and face wash which can treat acne on skin.
4. Eucalyptus: The use of eucalyptus plant is seen widely in the medicinal industry. It is widely used in reducing the symptoms of cold and cough and for decongestion. It is also used for treatment of upset stomach. The eucalyptus oil is useful for treating hair having dandruff or itchy scalp. Its oil is used for the treatment of various respiratory problems.
5. Peppermint: The leaves of the pepper mint plant are used for curing indigestion, hence it can easily soothe your digestive system. The mint leaves are useful for freshening breath. Its leaves also helps to heal bruises. Some other medicinal uses of pepper mint are used in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, gastric emptying disorder, colonic spasm and infantile colic. The small leaves of the the pepper mint plant are quite useful.
These five are some of the most widely and popularly used medicinal and herbal plants. Their therapeutic properties have been in use since centuries. Many people have been cured of a lot of problems with the help of these plants. Many of the antibiotics used today have many plants as their ingredients which are helpful for treatment of diseases.